Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan is an Indian director and screenwriter, who predominantly works in the Hindi film industry. He is best known for his internationally acclaimed film Lahore (2010). He is the recipient of several major awards.
Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan was born on Monday, 8 September 1975 (age 48 years; as in 2023) in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Virgo. As a child, Sanjay was fond of reading comic books, which sparked his interest in storytelling. He was also interested in sports during his school days and loved playing cricket. He was also a kickboxing champion during his college days.
Height (Approx): 5′ 8″
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye colour: dark brown
parents and siblings
There is not much information about his parents.
Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan is married to Kiran Singh Chauhan.
Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan made his directorial debut in 2010 with the Hindi film Lahore.
Along with being a director, he also contributed to the film as a story writer and dialogue writer. The film was screened at several international film festivals. The film was also screened at the 6th Jagran Film Festival in Raipur and Meerut. Although the film received international praise, it was not released in Pakistan as it was believed that Pakistan was portrayed poorly in the film.
In 2021, he worked as a writer on the Hindi-language biographical sports drama film 83. In 2023, he worked as a director and editor on the Hindi film 72 Hurain (Bahatar Hurain). The film depicts the influence of terrorist organization leaders who inspire Muslim youth to engage in acts of jihad against non-Muslims, luring them with promises of heaven (Jannat) and inducing them to resort to violence and murder. Encourage actions.
In 2023, he was working on the Hindi film Gorkha as a director, screenwriter and dialogue writer. Akshay Kumar is in the lead role in the film.
Accusation of hurting religious sentiments
In 2023, Syed Arifali Mahmodali (Syed Arif Ali), a social activist from Mumbai, filed a police complaint against the makers of the Hindi film 72 Hurain at Goregaon Police Station, Mumbai. Syed lodged his complaint against film producer Ashok Pandit and film director Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan, accusing them of hurting religious sentiments and trying to divide the country through their film. A complaint was also filed against the film before the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), demanding a ban on the film. The person who filed the complaint alleged that the film contains content that defames the Muslim community, thereby promoting discrimination on the basis of religious divide. Additionally, the complainant expressed dismay about the ongoing trend in the Bollywood industry where religion is exploited only for financial gain. The complaint stressed that such practices have a negative impact on society, creating an environment of prejudice and discord. The complainant also acknowledged the importance of upholding the principles of freedom of speech and expression. He stressed the need to prevent misuse of these rights to spread hatred or harm any religious community.
Awards and Honors
- National Film Award for Best Debut Film for the film Lahore (2010)
- 42nd WorldFest, Houston International Film Festival, US, Special Jury Award for Best Film, Film Lahore (2010)
- International Indian Film Academy Award for Writer – Best Story (Adapted) for the film 83 (2022)
International Film Festival of India
- ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal “Special Mention” for Ghatar Bahat Hurayn (2019) at the 50th International Film Festival of India, Goa
- Jury member at the 63rd National Film Awards (2016)
- Jury Member Feature Film, Indian Panorama at the 51st International Film Festival of India, Goa (2021)
- Jury Member (Selection) for ’75 Creative Minds of Tomorrow’ at the 52nd International Film Festival of India, Goa (2021)
- Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan loves reading books in his free time.
- In a social media post, Sanjay told that during his struggling days he lived in an apartment without a heater in Brooklyn. He also told that in those days he used to do plays even for Rs 50.
- In an interview, Sanjay revealed that he has not studied filmmaking and has learned everything only by watching films in the theatre.
- He is fond of exploring the mysteries of outer space and keeps sharing pictures and information related to space and astronauts.
- Sanjay, fond of dogs, has two pet dogs. The name of one of these is Mi-Hija.
- In 2010, Sanjay was directing the Hindi film Dhuaan. However, it was shelved.
- In 2023, before the release of his Hindi film 72 Hoorain, Sanjay received several death threats on his social media handles. Not only Sanjay, his mother also received abusive messages and rape threats.
- Apparently, Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan was once approached by a production house that had produced films like Gerard Butler starrer 300 and Robert De Niro and Drew Barrymore starrer Everybody’s Fine for the remake of his 2010 Hindi film Lahore .