Poorna Malavath is an Indian mountaineer who has completed the Seven Summits mountaineering challenge. She is the youngest tribal girl in the world to summit the Seven Summits and the youngest girl to climb Mount Everest.
Poorna Malvath was born on Saturday, 10 June 2000 (age 22 years; as of 2023) in Pakala village of Sirkonda mandal in Nizamabad district of Telangana (erstwhile – Andhra Pradesh). His zodiac sign is Gemini. During her childhood, she attended the local school in her village, and at the age of 11 went to the Telangana Social Welfare Residential Educational Institutions Society (TSWREIS) school for women in Tadavai, Kamareddy. After completing her schooling, she pursued a Bachelor of Arts degree from Telangana Social Welfare Residential Educational Institutions Society (TSWREIS) Degree College and went to Minnesota State University, USA as a fellow student of the Global Undergraduate Exchange Programme. As of 2023, she is pursuing her post graduation from Osmania University, Hyderabad.
Height (Approx): 4′ 10″
Weight (Approx): 50 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye colour: black
He is from a tribal family.
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Devdas and mother’s name is Lakshmi. They are farm labourers. He has a brother named Naresh Malavath, who is studying engineering.
He belongs to Lambada tribe.
His talent in mountaineering was spotted in 2013 by RS Praveen Kumar, an IPS officer and then secretary of Andhra Pradesh Social Welfare Residential Educational Institutions Society, during co-curricular activities he started to curb the high school dropout rate. She went to the rock climbing school in Bhongir in Nalgonda district of Telangana over the weekend to train under coach Shekhar Babu Bachinepalli. He was then sent on a rock climbing expedition to Bhongir with 110 members. The selectors were stunned when she climbed a 6,500 feet high cliff without any ropes, using only small cracks in the rock. RS Praveen Kumar selected him and 19 other students to learn high altitude mountaineering at the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute in Darjeeling. After completing basic training in Darjeeling, she moved to Ladakh to learn and practice snow mountaineering at high altitude. He was selected along with his friend S. Anand Kumar from Khammam to climb Mount Everest and was given 8 months of rigorous physical training under head coach Shekhar Babu Bachinepalli. During training, she climbed 17000 feet Mount Renok in the Kanchenjunga range to acclimatize herself to high altitude climbing. She reached the summit of Mount Everest, the world’s highest peak, at 8,848 meters above sea level, at 6 am on 25 May 2014 after her 52nd expedition with her coach Shekhar Babu, friend Anand Kumar and a group of some Sherpas. Is. day campaign. This was his first major climb and the first of 7 summit climbs.
She climbed to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest peak, which stands at 5,895 meters above sea level, on the evening of 15 August 2016. She climbed the summit of Mount Elbrus, the highest peak in Russia and Europe, at 5,642 meters above sea level, at around 10.00 am (IST) on 27 July 2017. He completed the summit of Mount Aconcagua, the highest peak in South America, at 6,961 meters above sea level, on 15 February 2019. She trained at the School of Rock Climbing, Bhongir, (RCSB) under the guidance of Chief Instructor Parmesh Kumar Singh and reached the summit of Mount Carstensz Pyramid, the highest peak in the Oceania region at an altitude of 4,884, early in the morning on 22 March 2019. . meters above sea level.
He completed the summit of Mount Vinson Massif, Antarctica’s highest peak, at 4,987 meters above sea level, on 26 December 2019. He completed the 7-summit climb on 5 June 2022 by climbing Mount Denali, the highest peak in North America, at 6,190 meters above sea level.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- 2014: Ruby Jubilee Healthcare Awards in Mumbai
- 2014: Special Award at Sakshi Excellence Awards
- 2014: Honored by the then Chief Minister of Telangana, K.Chandrashekhar Rao and awarded 25 lakhs cash, 5 acre plot and 2 BHK house.
- 2015: Guest speaker at the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit as part of the campaign Nine Is Mine
- 2018: Pride of Telangana Award at Zee Apsara Awards
- 2019: Jagriti Youth Achievement Award
- 2022: Honored by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- During her 8-month training to climb Mount Everest, she ran 28 km every day, played volleyball and did yoga.
- She is the youngest tribal girl in the world to complete the 7-peak climb.
- In 2017, a film based on his life was released. It was titled Poorna: Courage Has No Limit, starring Aditi Inamdar as Poorna and directed by Indian actor Rahul Bose. He unveiled the poster of the film on the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. Her sister is featured in the film; However, he denied having any sister in real life.
- In 2019, Aparna Thota wrote and released her biography, which she titled Purna: The World’s Youngest Girl to Climb Mount Everest.
- She said in an interview that she was scared for a moment when she saw the pile of bodies at the top of Mount Everest; However, he soon remembered his parents and continued tracking. In the same interview, she revealed that she did not like the packaged foods she ate during her trek.
- She used to play Kabaddi and volleyball in her school before she was chosen for mountaineering.
- When she saw Mount Everest from a distance during her training, she told her coach that it was too small and that she could climb it in a day.
- She initially planned to climb Mount Denali, the highest peak in North America, in summer 2020; However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, she abandoned the idea.
- She also works with many social organizations in her locality to spread awareness about the importance of girls’ education and health.
- She credited RS Praveen Kumar as the inspiration behind her achievements and she wants to become an IPS officer like him.
- After climbing Mount Everest, applications for admission to the Telangana Social Welfare Residential Educational Institutions Society (TSWREIS) for women increased from 8,700 to 60,000.
- After climbing the peak of Mount Elbrus, he hoisted the 50 feet national flag and sang the national anthem.
- She was listed in Forbes India’s list of self-made women in 2020.
- He likes playing guitar.
- He likes cycling and riding motorcycles.
- He is a dog lover.
- She is the youngest girl to climb Mount Everest and was 13 years and 11 months old when she climbed Everest.
- She climbed Mount Everest from the Tibetan side because Nepalese authorities do not allow anyone under the age of 16 to climb from the Nepalese side.
- After climbing Mount Everest, he spent 15 minutes at the top and hoisted the national flag, Telangana flag and his school flag. She also wanted to jump; However, he did not do so due to low oxygen levels. He also left a photograph of Dr. BR Ambedkar on the summit.
- His favorite food is fried chicken and biryani.
- Poorna Malavath is the inspiration for Amey Sanjay Gawale, a mountaineer from Adilabad, Telangana, who became the youngest person to reach the South Base Camp of Mount Everest at the age of 13 years and one month.
- She drinks milk daily to maintain her fitness; However, he doesn’t like it.