Tovino Thomas is an Indian actor and filmmaker who predominantly works in Malayalam films.
Tovino Thomas was born on Saturday, 21 January 1989 (age 34 years; as of 2023) in Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India. Their zodiac sign is Aquarius.
He received his primary education at Don Bosco Higher Secondary School and senior secondary education at St. Mary’s Higher Secondary School in Irinjalakuda, Kerala. Later, Tovino Thomas went to Tamil Nadu College of Engineering to pursue a B.Tech degree in Electronics and Communication (ECE).
Height (Approx): 5′ 9″
Weight (Approx): 75 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye colour: black
Body Measurements (Approx): Chest: 41 inches, Waist: 33 inches, Biceps: 14 inches
Tovino Thomas belongs to a Syro-Malabar Catholic Nasrani family.
parents and siblings
His father Elikal Thomas is a lawyer. His mother’s name is Sheela Thomas. His brother’s name is Tingston Thomas and sister’s name is Dhanya Thomas.
wife and children
On October 25, 2014, Tovino Thomas married his longtime girlfriend Lydia. The wedding took place at St. Thomas Cathedral in Irinjalakuda. The couple has a daughter named Izza and a son named Tahaan.
Tovino Thomas was dating Lydia since their school days. They got married in 2014 after a relationship of nine years.
After completing his formal education, he worked as a software engineer at Cognizant Technologies and was active in sports, fitness and modeling.
In 2011, he appeared in the short film Grisaille.
In 2012, Tovino Thomas made his acting debut in the Malayalam film “Prabhuvinte Makkal”, directed by Sajeev Anthikkad. After this he worked as an assistant director in Rupesh Peethambaran’s film ‘Theevaram’.
In 2013, Tovino Thomas played a negative role in the film ‘ABCD: American-Born Confused Desi’. In 2014, she played the lead role in the film ‘Kuthara’ opposite actor Mohanlal. In the same year, he appeared in the film ‘7th Day’. The following year, he played the lead role in Rupesh Peethambaran’s second directorial venture ‘You Two Brutus’.
After this Tovino Thomas appeared in the film ‘Charlie’ in 2015. The same year, he played the role of Perumparambil Appu in the film ‘Ennu Ninte Moideen’ and received critical acclaim for his performance in the film and won his first Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor. For this role.
In 2016, Tovino Thomas played the role of engineer Thejas Varkey in the Malayalam film ‘Guppy’ and won the New Sensational Hero Award at NAFA 2017 for his performance in the film. In 2017, he appeared in the films ‘Oru Mexican Aparatha,’ ‘Godha,’ and ‘Mayanadi.’ The film ‘Mayanadi’ was praised for its fine portrayal of sexuality and made it to The Hindu’s list of top 25 Malayalam films of the decade. The same year, he played a major supporting role in the film ‘Ezra’.
In 2018, he appeared in three Malayalam films ‘Theevaandi,’ ‘Ente Ummante Peru,’ and ‘Oru Kuprasiddha Payyan.’ He then played lead roles in the films ‘Lucifer,’ ‘Uyare,’ and ‘Virus’ in 2019. Reportedly, ‘Uyare’ became the first Malayalam film to be released in South Korea. He also appeared in the films ‘And the Oscar Goes to…,’ ‘Luka,’ ‘Kalki,’ and ‘Edakkad Battalion 06’ during the same year.
In 2020, Tovino played the lead role in the crime thriller ‘Forensic’ alongside Mamta Mohandas. The film received a great response from the audience and was a major box-office success.
In 2021, he appeared in the Malayalam film ‘Kaala’, his second venture as a producer. The film received critical acclaim for its story. In the same year, his film ‘Kanekkaane’ also received positive response and critical praise for its story and the performances of the cast. Tovino Thomas then played a lead role in the film ‘Minnal Murali’, which became the first Malayalam superhero action film to be released on Netflix. He received much praise for his work in the film. The film was considered a ‘streaming success’ as it overtook the record of most watched Malayalam films on OTT, which was previously held by ‘Drishyam 2’.
In 2022, Tovino Thomas appeared in the films ‘Nardaan,’ ‘Dear Friend,’ ‘Vaashi,’ and ‘Thallumala.’ In 2023, he appeared in the film ‘Neelavelicham’, in which he played the role of Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. Soon after its release, the film became the highest-grossing Malayalam film of all time and grossed over ₹200 crore. This year he was seen in the film ‘2018’.
Tovino Thomas made her Tamil debut with the 2018 film ‘Maari 2’ opposite actor Dhanush.
In 2020, Tovino Thomas produced the film ‘Kilometers and Kilometers’ along with Ramshi Ahmed, Anto Joseph and Sinu Siddharth. The film was directed by Jio Baby. He launched his own production house named ‘Tovino Thomas Productions’ on 21 January 2021. In 2022, he produced the Malayalam film ‘Vazhakku’.
In 2022, Tovino Thomas lent his voice to the song ‘Tupaththu’ in the Malayalam film ‘Thallumala’.
- Best Supporting Actor Award at the Asiavision Awards for his film Ennu Ninte Moideen.
- Best Character Actor Award at CPC Cine Awards and Best Supporting Actor – Malayalam Award at Filmfare Awards South.
- Award for Outstanding Performance of the Year at Asiavision Awards for the film Guppy.
- Youth Icon Award at the Asianet Comedy Awards for his films Godha and Oru Mexican Aparatha.
- He was given the Man of the Year (Malayalam) award at the Asiavision Awards for his performances in the films Godha and Oru Mexican Aparatha.
- Performer of the Year Award at the Asianet Film Awards.
- Critics Award for Best Actor – Malayalam at the Filmfare Awards South for his film Mayanadi.
- Star of the Year award at the Flowers Indian Film Awards, Second Best Actor award at the Kerala Film Critics Association Awards, and Most Romantic Hero award at the Vanitha Film Awards for the film Mayanaadi.
- Performer of the Year Award at the Asianet Film Awards.
- Best Actor – Malayalam Award at Asiavision Awards for the films Mayanadi, Maradona, Theevandi and Oru Kuprasidha Payyan.
- Best Actor Award at Mazhavil Entertainment Awards for various films.
- Best Actor – Malayalam Award at the South Indian International Movie Awards.
- Best Actor – Malayalam Award at the South Indian International Movie Awards for the film Minnal Murali.
- Best Actor (Malayalam) Award for the film ‘Thallumala’ at the 11th South Indian International Movie Awards (SIIMA) held at Dubai World Trade Centre, UAE.
- Best Asian Actor Award at the Septimius Awards for the film 2018.
- Tovino Thomas owns a BMW G 310 GS.
- He has a Yezdi.
- Tovino Thomas owns Honda City.
- He has an Audi Q7.
- Tovino Thomas owns a BMW 7-Series.
- They have a Mini Cooper Sidewalk Edition.
- Films: Mumbai Meri Jaan (2008), Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (2011), Life of Pi (2012)
- TV Shows: Mr. Bean (1990–1995), The Big Bang Theory (2007 to 2019)
- During his high school years at Don Bosco High School, Irinjalakuda, Tovino Thomas actively participated in the handball team, competing at the junior and sub-junior levels. He served as the team captain and represented Thrissur at the district and state level in handball competitions. Tovino actively collaborates with former team members to promote and grow handball in Kerala. He is the ambassador of Kerala Handball Association.
- Tovino Thomas actively participated in the rescue and rehabilitation efforts during the 2018 Kerala floods.
- In 2021, he was appointed as the ambassador of Samuhika Sannadhasena, a community volunteer program launched by the Government of Kerala. The program aims to deal with natural disasters by training volunteers and providing assistance to the public during crises. Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan praised Tovino’s active participation in flood relief efforts, saying that his participation would inspire youth to join the community volunteer programme.
- In 2021, Tovino Thomas was granted a Golden Visa by the United Arab Emirates government.
- In his spare time, he likes traveling to far-flung places, paragliding, reading books and cycling.
- Tovino Thomas is a fitness enthusiast and does physical exercises regularly. He often shares pictures and videos of his workout sessions on social media.
- Tovino Thomas is a compassionate animal lover. He has many pet dogs and birds. He often shares pictures of his pets on social media.
- He is often seen smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages on various occasions.
- Once, while interacting with the media, Tovino Thomas told how college holidays contributed to his acting career. He said,
During every holiday, I experimented with my look. Sometimes, I try to gain weight or workout to burn extra calories. Other times, I would cut my hair or try different designs on my beard. By the time I return from college, I will make sure that I get lots of praise from my friends.”