Robert Kiyosaki is a Japanese-American author, businessman, and financial education advocate. He is one of the most well-known influencers in the financial advice industry. He has written many books and one of his books named Rich Dad Poor Dad (1997) became very popular among the readers.
Robert Toru Kiyosaki was born on Tuesday, April 8, 1947 (age 76 years; as of 2023) in Hilo, the fourth largest settlement in the state of Hawaii. His zodiac sign is Aries. In 1965, he graduated from Hilo High School and in 1966 he attended the Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York.
Some of the biggest failures I know are people who never failed.”
Robert Kiyosaki is from a Japanese family. She has three siblings, Amy Kiyosaki, John Kiyosaki, and Beth Kiyosaki.
parents and siblings
His mother, Marjorie O. Kiyosaki was a registered nurse. His father, Ralph H. Kiyosaki, was the state’s superintendent of schools in the 1960s. He obtained a 4-year bachelor’s degree in only two years.
wife and children
Robert Kiyosaki’s wife is Kim Mayer, whom he married in 1986. He does not have any children yet. Kim Mayer is the CEO and co-founder of The Rich Dad Company, as well as the author of two books on building wealth for women. As Kim says in an interview,
When it comes to money, what we women are taught is not to take care of ourselves, but to depend on husbands, family members or the government for our financial well-being.
Robert Kiyosaki’s first job was as a third mate in the oil tanker fleet of Standard Oil of California where he earned $42,000 per year. After the end of his military service in 1972, Robert Kiyosaki joined the US Marine Corps and served in Vietnam as an officer and a helicopter gunship pilot. In 1974, Kiyosaki attended the Erhard Seminars training “How to Buy Real Estate Foreclosures”, which he said was a turning point in business direction.
As an entrepreneur I have been a winner and a loser many times over. I’ve got rich and poor, I’m feeling sorry for myself at my pity party. The great news: You have the ability to turn kindness into personal power. When you do this your true wealth, health and prosperity emerge.
– Robert Kiyosaqi (@theRealKiyosaqi) 25 September 2023
In 1977, Kiyosaki began his business career and started a company called Rippers with his brother, John Kiyosaki, which sold surfer-style nylon and Velcro wallets, which unfortunately went bankrupt. Kiyosaki joined Xerox Company as a sales associate and worked there until June 1978. In 1997, Kiyosaki founded Cashflow Technologies, Inc. Launched Rich Dad, a business and financial education company that owns and operates the Rich Dad and Cashflow brands. Robert Kiyosaki is the founder of the Rich Dad company which provides personal finance and business education through books and games. He also founded Rich Global LLC. With his wife Kim, he launched the Cashflow board game to help people learn about business and financial concepts through games. Kiyosaki launched a board game called Cashflow 101. Robert Kiyosaki has created an expanding financial education unit that includes finance books, board games, business courses, and coaching. In 1994, Kiyosaki retired from Rich Dad Company and even after retirement, Kiyosaki continued his real estate and business investments. In 2010, on The Alex Jones Show, he revealed his wealth which includes large complexes, hotels, farms and golf courses.
In 1991, Kiyosaki published his first book, If You Want to Be Rich and Happy, Don’t Go to School. After being rejected by several publishers, he printed 1,000 copies himself and the book became a great success in bookstores.
I was very surprised to see how well my books sold. There is a big difference between being a good writer and a best-selling author.
- If You Want to Be Rich and Happy, Don’t Go to School (1991)
- Rich Dad Poor Dad (1997)
- Rich Dad’s Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in, the Poor and the Middle Class Don’t! (2000)
- Rich Dad Poor Dad (2004) for teens
- Rich Dad’s Who Took My Money?: Why Slow Investors Lose and Fast Money Wins! (2004)
- Why We Want to Make You Rich: Two Men, One Message (co-written with Donald Trump; first published 2006)
- The Midas Touch: Why Some Entrepreneurs Get Rich and Why Most Don’t (co-written by Donald Trump; first published 2011)
- Rich Dads Increase Your Financial IQ: Get Smarter with Your Money (2014)
- The Capitalist Manifesto – Money for Nothing; Free Gold, Silver and Bitcoin (2022)
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- In 1972, he was awarded the Air Medal for his service as a gunship pilot in the Vietnam War.
His net worth is estimated at $100 million.
- The Rich Dad Company generates its main revenue from franchises using Kiyosaki’s brand name from Rich Dad seminars held by independent youth.
- Robert Kiyosaki’s book Rich Dad Poor Dad has been translated into 51 languages and has sold approximately 41 million copies worldwide.
- In 2012, Robert Kiyosaki’s company, Rich Global LLC, filed for bankruptcy. The Learning Annex won a court judgment of $23.7 million and Robert Kiyosaki was asked by the court to pay $24 million to The Learning Annex and its founder.
- Robert Kiyosaki wrote two books titled Why We Want You to Be Rich (2006) and Midas Touch (2011) with Donald Trump before he became President of the United States.
- Rippers was the first company to bring the nylon and Velcro “Surfer” wallet to the market.
- In an interview, Robert Kiyosaki talked about his ‘rich’ father and revealed his name to be Richard Kimi, a Hawaiian real estate entrepreneur who died in 2009.
- Recently on October 11, 2023, a podcast titled Understanding the Global Impact of Gold and Silver Investing was released with gold and silver investing expert Andy Shechtman as guest hosted by Robert Kiyosaki.