Deepak Baij is a famous Indian politician. In the 2019 general elections, he won a seat in the Lok Sabha, the lower house of the Indian Parliament, on the Indian National Congress party ticket. He represents Bastar constituency in Chhattisgarh, India.
Deepak Kumar Baij was born on Tuesday, 14 July 1981 (age 41 years as in 2023) in Lohandiguda, Bastar, Chhattisgarh. His zodiac sign is Cancer. Deepak Baij earned a master’s degree in political science, a master’s degree in economics, and an LLB. In Government Kakatiya Post Graduate College, Dharampura, Jagdalpur, Bastar, Chhattisgarh.
Height (Approx): 5′ 6″
Hair Color: Black
Eye colour: black
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Baluram Baij and mother’s name is Lakshmi Bai Baij.
wife and children
Deepak Baij’s wife, Poonam Baij, works as a government employee in Chhattisgarh.
The couple have three children, two daughters and a son.
Deepak Baij belongs to the Scheduled Tribe community.
His permanent address is Village-Usribeda, Post Office-Lohandiguda, District-Bastar, 494010, Chhattisgarh.
Deepak Baij became the Bastar District President of the Indian National Students Organization in 2008. The following year, he was appointed as the General Secretary of the Indian Youth Congress in Chhattisgarh.
From 2009 to 2011, Deepak Baij served as a party worker in the Lohandiguda Block Congress Committee. Subsequently, he served as the full-time President of the Block Congress Committee from 2012 to 2014. In 2013, he was elected as a member of the Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly from Chitrakote constituency. In 2018, Deepak Baij contested the Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly election, representing the Chitrakote constituency. He won the election as a member of the Indian National Congress party by a margin of 17,000 votes.
On 12 July 2023, Deepak Baij became the President of Chhattisgarh Indian National Congress unit. Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge has removed Mohan Markam and appointed him to this role. Prior to this appointment, Deepak Baij served on various committees related to Foreign Affairs, Chemicals and Fertilizers. In 2023, he joined the Consultative Committee of the Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
Deepak contested the 2023 Chhattisgarh Legislative Assembly election from Chitrakote constituency; However, he lost the seat to BJP candidate Vinayak Goyal.
Deepak Baij faces one charge of bribery meaning offering or accepting illegal payment (IPC section 171E), one charge of disobeying orders given by a public servant (IPC section 188), one charge of Use or threat of force to stop. Preventing a public servant from discharging his duty (IPC Section 353), and the charge against him of preventing a public servant from discharging his duty (IPC Section 186).
lok sabha suspension
Deepak was suspended from the Lok Sabha on 21 December 2023 for disrupting the functioning of the House and creating ruckus in the well of the Lower House in protest against the suspension of a large number of MPs from the House.
- Deepak Baij received the “Ideal Young MLA Award” from the Student Parliament of India at MIT Pune, Maharashtra on 18 January 2017.
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 8,74,926
- NSS, Postal Savings: Rs. 2,02,212
- LIC or other insurance policy: Rs. 21,50,000
- Motor Vehicle: Rs. 11,18,000
Gross Total Value: Rs. 48,00,138
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 3,00,000
- Loan from Banks/Financial Institutions: Rs. 1,30,858
Deepak Baij’s net worth is Rs. 49.5 lakh as per the affidavit submitted by him before the 2018 elections for the post of MLA.
- In 2018, Deepak Baij came into limelight when he went to a public problem solving camp in Chitapur village of Chhattisgarh. There he saw dirty water coming out of a bore and became very angry. To show his frustration, he drank the water himself and then gave it to an officer to drink. Deepak had received information that people in Chhindwara village have been forced to drink red boring water for many years. So, he visited the village and collected some dirty water from the borehole in a bottle.
- In 2020, an unknown Maoist had sent a death threat to Deepak Baij.
- In June 2022, Deepak Baij and a group of Congress party leaders were detained by Delhi Police during a protest against India’s Enforcement Directorate. This happened after Congress party leader Rahul Gandhi was questioned by the Enforcement Directorate in connection with the National Herald money laundering case.
- In January 2023, Deepak Baij joined All India National Congress leader Rahul Gandhi’s Bharat Jodo Yatra.
– Deepak Baij (@DeepakBaijINC) 8 September 2022