Venugopal Dhoot is an Indian businessman. He is the chairman, CEO and managing director of Indian multinational conglomerate Videocon. In 2022, he was arrested by the CBI in the ICICI-Videocon loan fraud case.
Venugopal Nandlal Dhoot was born on Sunday, 30 September 1951 (age 71 years; as in 2022) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Libra. He earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from the College of Engineering, University of Pune in Pune, Maharashtra.
Height (Approx): 5′ 8″
Weight (Approx): 65 kg
Hair Color: Salt and Pepper
Eye colour: dark brown
Venugopal Dhoot was born in Mumbai, India to a Hindu family.
parents and siblings
His father, Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot, is the founder of Videocon Group.
He has two brothers named Rajkumar Nandlal Dhoot and Pradeepkumar Nandlal Dhoot. Rajkumar Dhoot is a politician and businessman; He is a member of the Shiv Sena Party and the promoter and co-owner of the Videocon Group of Companies. Pradeepkumar Dhoot is the Managing Director of Videocon Hydrocarbon Holdings Limited.
wife and children
He is married to Ramabai Dhoot, who is one of the board members of Videocon Group.
They have a son named Anirudh Dhoot, who is a director of Videocon Group.
They have two daughters named Surbhi Dhoot and Tanushree Dhoot.
He follows Hindu religion. Reportedly, he visits Tirupati and Pandharpur temples every year.
In 1984, Videocon Group was founded by Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot. In 1985, Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot decided to manufacture 1 lakh TV sets every year. In an interview, Anirudh Dhoot claimed that Videocon was the first company to introduce color TV in India. Venugopal Dhoot holds directorships in Videocon Telecom Limited, Hindustan Oil Ventures Limited, Videocon Energy Limited, Jumbo Techno Services Private Limited and Senior Consulting Private Limited. Reportedly, Venugopal Dhoot made Videocon one of the leading brands of color TV in India. In 2005, he was appointed as the Managing Director of Videocon Industries Limited. In 2010, he was re-appointed as the managing director of Videocon Group for five years.
The company has 17 manufacturing sites in India and has manufacturing plants in several countries such as Mainland China, Mexico, Poland and Italy. In June 2018, the company ceased national and overseas trading and entered bankruptcy proceedings after facing losses in its oil businesses.
ICICI loan fraud case
In April 2018, the CBI questioned Venugopal Dhoot in connection with the ICICI-Videocon loan dispute. The CBI questioned him, Chanda Kochhar’s husband Deepak Kochhar and some others to investigate the case of allegedly accepting money. ICICI gave a loan of Rs 3,250 crore to Videocon Group. On December 23, 2022, CBI arrested Chanda Kochhar and her husband Deepak Kochhar for some alleged discrepancies in a loan of Rs. Rs 3,000 crore by ICICI Bank to Videocon Group when Chanda Kochhar was the head of the bank. He was charged with criminal conspiracy and fraud for alleged discrepancies in the amount of Rs. A loan of Rs 3,250 crore to Videocon Group, which became a non-performing asset (NPA) for ICICI Bank in 2017. According to sources, Chanda Kochhar’s husband Deepak Kochhar founded a company named NuPower Renewables in partnership with Venugopal Dhoot. Venugopal Dhoot used money from a loan given by ICICI Bank to invest in NuPower Renewables. On December 26, 2022, Venugopal Dhoot was arrested by the CBI for his involvement in the ICICI Bank-Videocon fraud case.
On January 20, 2023, he was granted interim bail by the Bombay High Court on a surety bond of Rs 1 lakh. On 8 April 2023, a charge sheet was filed by the CBI against Chanda Kochhar, her husband Deepak Kochhar and Venugopal Dhoot under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 409 (criminal breach of trust) of the Indian Penal Code and other provisions. (IPC).
- 2005: Won Marathwada Bhushan Award
- 2006: Won the Alcina Electronics Man of the Year Award (2005-2006)
As of 2015, his net worth is estimated to be Rs 180 crore.
Note: This does not include the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
- Food: Mustard greens, roti, vegetable biryani
- Venugopal Dhoot follows a vegetarian diet.
- In 2008, he became the President of the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) and the Electronic Industries Association of Marathwada.
- In 2009, he was ranked 36th in the ‘Top 50 Power List’ of the year.
- According to Forbes, he was ranked as the 61st richest person in India in 2015.
- He is one of the members of the Advisory Committee of Poona University Information Employment and Guidance and is an advisor to the Government of Orissa for the industrial development of Orissa.
- At an event, former Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh called Videocon ‘the proud face of global India’.
- In 2011, his daughter Tanushree Dhoot got married to Vivek Biyani, nephew of Kishore Biyani of Big Bazaar and Future Group. The wedding was attended by many popular celebrities and businessmen including Shahrukh Khan, Sonam Kapoor, Boney Kapoor, Sridevi, Poonam Dhillon, Gopinath Munde, Subhash Chandra, Yash Chopra, Mohammed Azharuddin and others.