Saurav Ghoshal is a leading Indian squash player. In April 2019, he became the first Indian squash player to achieve world ranking of 10th in squash. In 2022, she won the bronze medal in the singles event at the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham and created history by winning it for India.
Saurav Ghoshal was born on Sunday, 10 August 1986 (age 37 years; as in 2023) in Kolkata, West Bengal. His zodiac sign is Leo. He completed his schooling from Lakshmipat Singhania Academy, Kolkata. At the age of eight, Saurav Ghoshal started practicing squash in his hometown and joined Kolkata Racquet Club for professional training. For further training in squash, he moved from Kolkata to Chennai to be a part of the ICL Squash Academy in Chennai, where renowned Indian squash coaches Major (retd) Maniam and Cyrus Poncha became his mentors. Later, Saurav Ghoshal became a part of Pontefract Squash Club in West Yorkshire for professional training under coach Malcolm Willstrop.
Height (Approx): 5′ 6″
Weight (Approx): 65 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye colour: black
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Prakash Ghoshal and he is the head of Kolkata Racquet Club.
His mother’s name is Nupur Ghoshal.
wife and children
On 3 February 2017, Saurav Ghoshal married Diya Pallikal.
Dia Pallikal is the sister of Indian squash player Deepika Pallikal, who is the wife of Indian cricketer Dinesh Karthik.
Saurav Ghoshal won the German Open (Under-17) title in May 2002. In June 2002, he won the Dutch Open title.
Saurav Ghoshal competed in the British Junior Open Championships and won the under-19 squash title in 2004. After winning this event, he became the first Indian squash player to win this title. During the final of this match held in Sheffield, England, he defeated his rival Adel El Said of Egypt. In 2006, he participated in the National Championships held in New Delhi and became the National Squash Champion by defeating his rival Gaurav Nandrajog. In the same year, he participated in the Asian Games held in Doha and won the bronze medal. In 2010, he was ranked 27th in the world by the Professional Squash Association (PSA).
Saurav Ghoshal became the first Indian squash player to reach the quarterfinals of the World Squash Championship in Manchester, England in 2013.
In 2014, he participated in the Asian Games held in Incheon and became the first Indian squash player to win a silver medal in the individual singles event by defeating his rival Abdullah Al-Muzayen of Kuwait. In 2015, he participated in the national tournament held in Kolkata and won the 35k PSA competition.
In 2016, he participated in the South Asian Games and won the gold medal in the team event. At the same championships, he won a bronze medal in the singles event.
In 2018, she won the Vedanta Indian Open title at the national championship.
In December 2021, the Professional Squash Association (PSA) appointed Saurav Ghoshal as its president. In August 2022, he competed at the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, where he won the bronze medal in men’s squash singles after defeating his opponent James Willstrop of England in straight sets in the third/fourth playoff game. By winning this event, he created history and became the first Indian squash player to win a medal in a singles event at the Commonwealth Games. He defeated his Sri Lankan opponent Shamil Vakil 11-4, 11-4, 11-6 in the second round and lost to Canada’s David Baillargeon Saurav Ghoshal 11-6, 11-2 in the third round. 11-6.
World Doubles Championship
- 2004: Silver medal in doubles in Chennai
- 2016: Silver medal in mixed doubles in Darwin
- 2022: Gold medal in mixed doubles in Glasgow
- 2018: Silver medal in mixed doubles in Gold Coast
- 2022: Bronze medal in singles in Birmingham
- 2006: Bronze medal in singles in Doha
- 2014: Silver medal in singles in Incheon
- 2014: Team gold medal in Incheon
- 2010: Bronze medal in singles in Guangzhou
- 2010: Team bronze medal in Guangzhou
- 2018: Bronze medal in singles in Jakarta
- 2018: Bronze medal in team in Jakarta
- 2023: Silver medal in singles in Hangzhou
South Asian Games
- 2016: Bronze medal for India in singles
Asian Individual Championships
- 2019: Gold medal in singles in Kuala Lumpur
Saurav Ghoshal was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2007 after winning the bronze medal at the 2006 Asian Games.
Saurav Ghoshal has a BMW car.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- According to Saurav Ghoshal, there is a shortage of top-level coaches at Indian squash academies in India such as the SRFI-run Indian Squash Academy (ISA) in Chennai. In 2018, he expressed in a media interview that aspiring Indian squash players lacked proper guidance in the game.
- Indian Guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar honored Saurav Ghoshal at the ‘Spirit of Sports’ event held at Bengal Rowing Club in 2019.
- According to Saurav Ghoshal, listening to music and watching movies are his favorite pastime activities.
- Soon after Saurav Ghoshal transferred to England, he joined Pontefract Squash and Leisure Club. Once while talking to the media, Saurav Ghoshal had said that it is the responsibility of a professional player to win medals for the country so that the attention of the common man can be attracted towards such sports. He said,
I certainly hope so. As players, it is our responsibility to win medals for the country and attract the common man. That’s what we’re doing right now. I hope more people get into the game and help take squash to the next level in India.”
- Saurav Ghoshal often posts his pictures and videos on various social media platforms. More than 10 thousand people follow him on Instagram. He is very active on Facebook. More than 49 thousand people follow him on Twitter.
- According to Saurav Ghoshal, during his school and college days his mother took care of his studies while his father was more concerned about his sports. In an interview given to a media house, Saurav Ghoshal told that when he was young, his mother used to prepare his favorite dishes at home for him like Mary Biscuit, Chocolate Pudding, sweets and non-vegetarian dishes. He said,
Should I add it (content) now or later. She makes very good ladyfinger. Then there are cutlets which include fish, mutton and lamb. She’s very good at it.”
- Saurav Ghoshal is an avid dog lover. His pet dog’s name is Cooper. He often posts pictures of his pet on social media.