Sakshi Malik is a famous Indian freestyle female wrestler. She came into limelight in 2016 after winning a bronze medal in the 58 kg category at the 2016 Summer Olympics. In 2014, she won a silver medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, and in 2015, she was a bronze medalist at the Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha. In August 2016, by winning bronze at the Rio Olympics in the 58 kg category, she became the first Indian female wrestler and the fourth Indian female athlete to win an Olympic medal.
Sakshi Malik was born on Thursday, 3 September 1992 (age 29 years; as in 2022) in Rohtak, Haryana, India. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. He received his primary school education from Vysya Public School, Rohtak, Haryana and secondary school education from DAV Centenary Public School, Rohtak, Haryana. Soon after completing her schooling, she joined Maharishi Dayanand University (MDU), Rohtak, Haryana to pursue a master’s degree in physical education.
Height (Approx): 5′ 3″
Weight (Approx): 65 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye colour: black
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Sukhbir Malik and he is a DTC bus conductor. His mother’s name is Sudesh and she works in Anganwadi.
He has a brother named Sachin Malik.
husband and children
On 2 April 2017, Sakshi Malik married Satyavrat Kadian who is an Indian wrestler.
In 2010, Sakshi Malik won a bronze medal at the Junior World Championships in the 59 kg category. In 2014, he participated in the Dave Schultz International Wrestling Tournament and won the gold medal. In August 2014, he won a silver medal at the Commonwealth Games. In 2015, he participated in the Senior Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha and won the bronze medal. In May 2016, he defeated his rival Zhang Lan of China in the Olympic World Qualifying Tournament and qualified for the Rio Olympics. In August 2016, Sakshi Malik won the bronze medal in the 58 kg category at the Rio Olympics by defeating Aisulu Tynybekova of Kazakhstan. In 2022, he won the bronze medal at the Tunis Ranking Series event held in Tunis, Tunisia.
– Olympic Sports (@OlympicSports) 10 June 2022
On 5 August 2022, she won the gold medal in the women’s freestyle 62 kg category at the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games.
In 2016, Sakshi Malik was appointed by the Government of India to the Commercial Department of Delhi Division of Indian Railways. Later, after winning the bronze medal in Rio, he was promoted from senior clerk to gazetted officer rank. Sakshi Malik was appointed as the wrestling director of Maharishi Dayanand University (MDU) in September 2016.
Protest against Brij Bhushan Singh
Sakshi Malik, Vinesh Phogat and Bajrang Punia staged a protest at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi against the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) on 18 January 2023. According to him, WFI officials and coaches were harassing women. Vinesh Phogat accused the Federation and WFI President Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh of sexual harassment of several girls and said,
Some coaches favored by the federation also misbehave with women coaches. They sexually harass girls. WFI President has sexually harassed many girls.
Later, Mr. Sharan Singh responded to the allegations against him and the federation and questioned the wrestlers as to why they had not come for the last ten years and said,
If anything like this has happened, I will hang myself.
On 25 June 2023, the wrestlers announced that they had decided to stop protesting on the streets against Brij Bhushan and fight the battle in court.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
In 2016, Sakshi Malik was awarded the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award. In 2017, he was awarded the Padma Shri.
After winning several medals in wrestling, Sakshi Malik was awarded cash prizes totaling over ₹5.7 crore (US$750,000) from the Indian Railways, Indian Olympic Association, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of Delhi, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh Went. , Uttar Pradesh and from the political party Indian National Lok Dal. Soon after winning several medals in wrestling, the Haryana government gave 500 yards of land in his name.
- Sakshi started practicing wrestling at the age of twelve. His grandfather Badlu Ram was a wrestler. His father inspired him to practice wrestling.
- At the 2016 Summer Olympics, Sakshi Malik became the first Indian female wrestler to win a medal, by winning a bronze medal in the 58 kg wrestling category.
- Once while talking to the media, Sakshi Malik had told that her coach Ishwar Dahiya used to take her from home to the coaching stadium during the training period. He said that for this he had to face opposition from the local people.
- Sakshi Malik has also done ramp walk in many events.
- Sakshi Malik is trained by her personal Ishwar Dahiya, who started giving her wrestling training at the age of 12 at an akhada in Chhotu Ram Stadium, Rohtak. Later, he received training from Indian wrestler Mandeep Singh.
- According to Sakshi Malik, she had to fight boys during wrestling training, as girls in her area were not allowed to participate in the sport.
- In her spare time, Sakshi Malik loves practicing yoga, and traveling to far-flung places is her favorite recreational activity.
- In an interview with a media house, Sakshi once revealed that her personal favorite medal was the silver medal, which she won at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- She is often featured by famous Indian magazines and tabloids on their covers.
- Sakshi Malik is quite active on various social media platforms. She often posts her photos and videos on social media. His Twitter handle is followed by more than 573k people.
- On 21 December 2023, Sakshi Malik announced her retirement from wrestling. He announced this in a press conference after Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh’s associate Sanjay Singh won the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) elections. He also expressed disappointment with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for not appointing a woman candidate as president.