Sagar Narwat is an Indian boxer who competes in the men’s 72 kg category. He qualified for the Commonwealth Games in June 2022. He is also known as ‘The Sher Narwat’.
Sagar Singh Narwat was born on Sunday, 10 July 1994 (age 28 years; as in 2022) in Kheri Kalan village, Faridabad, Haryana. His zodiac sign is Cancer.
She did her schooling from Modern School Sector 17, Faridabad, Haryana and Vidya Mandir Public School, Sector-15A, Faridabad, Haryana. After this he took admission in the Indian Institute of Planning and Management, New Delhi.
Height (Approx): 5′ 8″
Weight (Approx): 72 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye colour: black
Body Measurements (Approx): Chest 46″, Waist 32″, Biceps 16″
Sagar was born in a Hindu Jat family.
parents and siblings
His father Aram Singh is working as ASI in Haryana Police. His mother’s name is Sushma. His brother Nitesh Narwat is a businessman.
In 2010, he joined Dronacharya Boxing Club in Faridabad, Haryana to start his training in kickboxing. However, his coaches Rajiv Godara and Jai Bhagwan advised him to continue his training in boxing as well.
After this he started his training in boxing and won various medals in district level boxing competitions. Sagar won a bronze medal at the Haryana Professional Boxing Championship (2013) and another bronze medal at the 48th Senior Men’s Haryana State Boxing Championship. In 2016, he also received the Best Boxer Award along with the Gold Medal in the International Rural Boxing Championship. Sagar has won various boxing championships like The Punch Boxing Series, Pro Boxing Fight Night and Super Boxing League. He has also played for OPM Punjab Sultans in the Super Boxing League Season 1 (2017).
On October 13, 2017, in his first international tournament, he was given the Iron Man title after defeating Filipino boxer June Mamo at the Philippines Bakabakan Sadlaw San Calbayog International Championship. He received the WBC Asia Continental title at The Punch 7 Boxing Competition (2021). While talking about the fight during an interview, he had said that this was the biggest fight of his life. On his victory, Arif Khan, owner of ‘The Punch Boxing’ said,
Sagar is very hardworking and disciplined. He has grown in every fight and finally he is here.”
Sagar has participated in various Super Boxing Leagues. In an interview, while sharing his experience in the Super Boxing League, he said,
During my stint in the SBL, one of my fights was against a great Army boxer who had won many professional matches in the past, whereas I was not at all at that time. After avoiding his heavy blows and landing timely punches, while constantly trying to calm my nerves, I was eventually able to defeat him. That’s when I got the name ‘The Lion’. I love this name that the boxing brothers have given me and I hope I continue to do justice to it in the future.
His stance in the sport is conservative, and he competes in super welterweight competitions.
- Won the World Boxing Council Asian Boxing Council Continental Super Welter title in his 15th fight against Rahul Kumar by unanimous decision.
- Won 14th fight against Manish by unanimous decision
- Won 13th fight by TKO against Nigerian boxer Jeff Iyagbuye on Sunday
- Won 12th fight against Harish Satbir by TKO
- Won 10th fight against Gulab Lohot by unanimous decision
- Won his 9th fight by TKO against Amit Rawat in the second round.
- Won 8th fight against Rahul Kumar by unanimous decision
- Won seventh fight against Nishant Singh by technical knockout in the third round.
- Sixth fight won by RTD against Abdullah Luanja of Tanzania in the second round
- Won 5th fight against Mohammad Shadab Khan by unanimous decision
- Won fourth fight against Inderpal Singh by unanimous decision
- Won the second challenge fight against Ryan Manno
- Won the Bakbakan Sadlaw San Calbayog International Championship in the Philippines on October 13, 2017
- Won against Haryana Warriors in Super Boxing League
- Challenge boxing league won in MP
- Won gold medal in International Rural Boxing Championship
- Won bronze medal in Haryana Professional Boxing Competition in Gurugram in 2013
- Won bronze medal in 48th Senior Men Haryana State Boxing
- Won Bronze Medal in Dr. BR Ambedkar All India Senior Men Championship held in Visakhapatnam
- Won Gold Medal in Cadet and Senior National Kickboxing Championship 2014 at Faridabad
- Won Gold Medal in 17th Junior National Kickboxing Championship 2012 at Visakhapatnam
- Won Gold Medal in 4th North Zone Kickboxing Championship in Punjab in 2011
- Won Silver Medal in 4th Indian Open 2012 National Open Kickboxing Championship in New Delhi
- Won silver medal in the 16th Junior National Kickboxing Championship held at Angul Stadium, Odisha.
Outstanding Sportsperson Award by Haryana Governor Jagannath Pahadia (during his tenure)
- During his childhood, he developed interest in kickboxing and boxing. After returning from school, he used to watch various types of boxing matches on YouTube.
- He has his surname “Narvat” tattooed on his right tricep.
- One of his favorite boxers is Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- He started Sagar Narwat Boxing and Fitness Club, a boxing training and fitness center in 2018. While talking about his boxing center during an interview, he said,
In my village, there is no proper vehicle so going to other cities to learn is a problem. People may not have many facilities, but the talent here is immense.”
- In 2021, she was featured in the Hindi music video ‘Changa’, which was released on the YouTube channel Big Bang Music.
- Every year on June 4, he pays his tribute to martyred soldier Yashpal Singh Narwat. Yashpal was martyred in a terrorist attack on 4 June 2001 in Kupwara, Jammu and Kashmir.
- Sagar is sponsored by many Indian brands like Sarvodaya Healthcare, Faridabad, GL Tech Marketing, Sports Oodles and Leopard Nutrition.
- During an interview, he shared that his social media fans have always encouraged him to perform better in his matches. He said,
I consider myself extremely fortunate to have the support of so many boxing fans in India. “While this puts a lot of pressure on me to perform inside the ring, it also gives me the great honor of representing my country at grand, international events.”
- Sagar is a great devotee of Lord Shiva.