Sagar Ahlawat is an Indian boxer who won a silver medal in the plus 92 kg category at the 2022 Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, England.
Sagar Ahlawat was born on Friday, 7 July 2000 (age 22 years; as of 2022) in Dhandlan village, Jhajjar, Haryana. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He did his schooling from Brigadier Ran Singh Public School, Dojhana, Haryana. After this he studied Bachelor of Arts from Goswami Ganesh Dutt Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh.
Height: 5′ 11″
Weight (Approx): 90 kg
Hair Color: Black
Eye colour: black
Sagar belongs to a Jat farmer family.
parents and siblings
His father Rajesh Ahlawat is a farmer. His mother’s name is Mukesh Ahlawat. His sister’s name is Tanu Ahlawat. He has no brother.
Sagar started his training in boxing after completing 12th class. He started training under coach Hitesh Deshwal at the Jawahar Bagh Stadium in Jhajjar, Haryana. In an interview, when Sagar’s coach Hitesh was asked about training, he said,
I told him (Sagar) that he has to follow a strict rule. Many students come out having improved their physique. I told him that if you are serious about boxing then you are welcome, otherwise leave. I will make three-four boxes against him at once. They have a lot of ability to bear the brunt. I will make him fight for 6-8 rounds. This helped in increasing his will power and stamina. Sometimes, he would be up against a different boxer each round for eight rounds in a row.”
He followed an extraordinary routine of training three times a day. In the morning and evening he would box and run. In the scorching afternoon heat, when everyone went to sleep, he would tie a tire around his waist and go running near the canal for about 10-15 kilometers.”
He then participated in various boxing championships including the All-India University Championships and Khelo India University Games. After this he was trained at the National Camp in Patiala. He came into limelight after defeating senior boxers Satish Kumar and Narendra Berwal in the national selection trials in Patiala in 2022. During an interview, while talking about defeating the boxers, he said,
Bhai Saheb is a legend (Satish Bhai is a legend). He is the national champion since 2012 and became the first super heavyweight boxer to participate in the Olympics. Satish Bhai Saheb congratulated me, it was very nice… I have grown up watching him in boxing.”
She won a silver medal under the plus 92 kg category at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, England. He won the medal by defeating England’s boxer Delicious Orie.
- 2018: Gold in 44th Junior Men’s State Boxing Championship, Haryana
- 2018: Gold in 47th Junior (Youth) Men’s National Boxing Championship, Haryana
- 2019: Gold in All-India University Championship
- 2020: Gold in PU Inter-College Boxing Championship
- 2021: Gold in PU Inter College Boxing Championship
- 2021: Silver at Men’s 5th Elite National Championships, Bellary
- 2022: Silver at Commonwealth Games, Birmingham, England
- Food: Churma and Tomato Chutney
- His interest in boxing began in 2015 when he read a newspaper article on the boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. Talking about this during an interview, he said,
I was never a bright student and I was looking for a way out. Then I saw this full page article about the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight. Reading about him inspired me. Dono made big mark, kitne saal haare hi nahi (His career has been distinguished, he did not give up for so many years).
- In an interview, Sagar shared that he used to work with his father on his farms and attend his training classes. He said,
We have only two acres of land and I used to work in the fields with my father all day long. There were a lot of problems so to change my luck I had to start boxing. I can never say that I was lacking anything when I was training in Jhajjar. My father made sure I got everything in terms of diet and equipment. However, I was not able to train regularly. There were very few partners for fights.”
- His stance in the game is southpaw. His coaches are Hitesh Deswal and Virendra Dangi.
- Sagar won a silver medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games. In an interview, when journalists talked to Sagar’s family about his victory, his sister said that winning a medal at such a young age is no small thing. He further said that his brother started from zero and he will win the gold medal next time. His mother said,
My son played very well, victory comes only after defeat. We will feed them churma when they return.”
His family members further said that after coming to India, Sagar would first visit Baba Machhandari Maharaj’s ashram, which is a tradition in Sagar’s village. His family members said,
After coming to the village, he will first come to Machhandari Maharaj’s ashram here and receive blessings. Apart from this, after visiting the temple of Dudhadhari Maharaj and Shyam Baba, he went to participate in the Commonwealth Games. He will come to these three religious places and seek blessings.”
- During an interview, Sagar’s mother told that although Sagar did not like to eat meat, he had to eat as per his prescribed diet.