Durjoy Dutta is an Indian Novelist and screenwriter. He is famous for his novels which have the theme of young and promiscuous love.
Durjoy Dutta was born on Saturday, 7 February 1987 (age 36 years old; as of 2023) in Mehsana, Gujarat. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. He grew up in New Delhi. He did his schooling at the Bal Bharati Public School, Pitampura. He did Mechanical engineering at Delhi Technical University. Then later, did his Post graduation from the Management Development Institute, Gurgaon and the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management, Germany. He started writing his first novel “Of course, I love you” during college.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 75kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): 40-32-16
Durjoy was born in a Bengali Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
His father is a Mechanical Engineer and his mother is a homemaker.
Wife & Children
Durjoy got married to Avantika Mohan, an air Hostess and Social Media Influencer in April 2016 in Dehradun. They got married in a traditional Bengali wedding. The couple has two daughters Rayna Dutta born in 2017 and Varya Dutta born in 2023.
Durjoy was in a relationship with Avantika Mohan for four years. They first met through common friends and while writing his first novel, Durjoy’s female protagonist was inspired by Avantika. According to Durjoy, they started messaging over Facebook and only met in person after they had dated for a really long time.
Despite being from a Hindu family, he was an atheist for most of his adult life but after the birth of his first daughter which was a difficult time for him and his wife, he started believing in the doctrine of Hinduism.
Durjoy wrote his first novel “Of Course, I Love You” during college in 2008 and got it published with assistance from Shrishti Publications not expecting the book to sell more than 1000 copies; But his book became a hit and sold more than 50,000 copies. He was working as a Marketing Analyst with American Express when he received his first royalty cheque. He then decided to leave his 9-to-5 job and become a full-time writer. His first book was co-authored with Maanvi Ahuja. In August 2009, his second novel, “Now That You’re Rich!”, was released which became a best seller in India. In 2011, after he graduated from MDI, Gurgaon he co-founded his own publication house Grapevine India Publishers. In September 2011, he published his fifth novel “You Were My Crush!” with his own Publication house. Durjoy has written and published more than a dozen novels including Till the Last Breath (2012), Hold My Hand (2013), and Our Impossible Love (2016). He has Published 21 books with Penguin Books including Someone Like You (2013), A Touch Of Eternity (2021), Wish I Could Tell You (2019), and The Perfect Us (2018).
He has co-authored with many Indian writers like Nikita Singh, Maanvi Ahuja, Neeti Rustagia, and Orvana Ghai. He has written blogs for Miss Malini and That’s So Gloss. He has written the short story The English Teacher (2012) and was a contributor to the short story Shades of Love (2012). He has also written many audiobooks including The Last Boy To Fall In Love (2019), The Opposite Of Love (2023), and The Last Girl to Fall in Love (2021).
Durjoy began his career as a screenwriter with the television show Sadda Haq – My Life, My Choice (2013) on Channel V and then from 2012 to 2015, he co-wrote the show Ek Veer Ki Ardaas…Veera with his friend Sumrit Shahi. He also wrote the screenplay for the shows Kuch Rang Pyar Ke Aise Bhi (2016) and Never Kiss Your Best Friend (2020). He co-wrote with Sumrit Shahi again for the show Million Dollar Girl – From Banaras to Paris (2014-215).
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2009, he won the Young Achiever Award by The Times of India
- In 2011, he won Young Achievers in the field of Media and Communications by Whistling Woods International
- He won an award twice for the Best Youth Show in the fiction category for Sadda Haq in in 2014 and 2015
- In 2017, he won the Popular Choice Award in fiction for his book Our Impossible Love at the Crossword Book Awards
- In 2018, he won the Popular Choice Award in fiction for his book The Boy Who Loved at the Crossword Book Awards.
According to Durjoy, he earns approximately Rs. 30 Lakh yearly from his books.
- Food: Butter Chicken, Muri Ghonto, Papdi Chaat, American Chopsuey, and Chole Bhature.
- Literary Character (s): Lisbeth Salander, Augustus Water, Tyler Durden, Saeeda Bai
- Author(s): Robert Ludlum, John Green
- Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Romantic Novel: A Walk to Remember
- Durjoy Loves going on vacations with his family.
- In January 2016, his novel Our Impossible Love debuted at the top of Nielsen Bookscan’s rankings.
- He created a nationwide moment when he proposed to his then-girlfriend now wife Avantika Mohan on Twitter by creating the hashtag #MarryMeAvantika, he asked his readers and 50,000+ online followers to help him win her over by using the hashtag.
- He has done Ted Talks on multiple occasions at NIT Durgapur, SITM, and IMT Dubai.
- He promotes many brands on his Instagram.
- He describes himself as a foodie person and often uploads his pictures with different food items on his Instagram.