Anup Soni is an Indian actor and anchor. He is best known for being the host of the Indian television series “Crime Patrol” (2003).
Anup Soni was born on Thursday, 30 January 1975 (age 45 years; as of 2020) in Ludhiana, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
He graduated from the National School of Drama, New Delhi with a specialization in acting.
- Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
He belongs to a Punjabi business-class family.
Parents & Siblings
His mother’s name is Kiran Soni and his father’s name is Ramesh Chandra Soni.
Wife & Children
In 1998, Anup met Ritu, an employee at an advertising and marketing company called Lintas (now MullenLowe Lintas Group). In September 1999, they got married.
He has two daughters with Ritu: Zoya (born in 2004) and Myra (born in 2008).
While working on a play directed by Indian theatre actress Nadira Babbar, Anup met Juhi Babbar, Nadira’s daughter and also a theatre actress. Anup and Juhi began a relationship while he was still married to Ritu. After dating Juhi for some time, Anup divorced Ritu in 2010 and married Juhi Babbar on March 14, 2011, in an intimate ceremony attended by only family and close friends.
In 2012, Anup and Juhi welcomed their son, Imaan.
He made his television debut as an actor with the series ‘Aahat’ (1995) in episode 35 as ‘Mohan.’
He then appeared in the series Safar (1996), Sea Hawks (1997), Byomkesh Bakshi (1997), and Saaya (1998). After a few years of working in television, he started working in films, and later returned to television with the show CID: Special Bureau (2004) as ACP Ajatshashtru.
He has also appeared in the TV series: Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (2006-07), Shubh Vivah (2012), and Balika Vadhu (2008-14). He made his web debut with the series ‘The Test Case’ (2018) as ‘Lt. Col Imtiaz Hussain,’ which aired on ALTBalaji.
He has also acted in the web series ‘Bombers’ (2019), which aired on Zee 5.
He made his film debut as an actor with the Bollywood film ‘Godmother’ (1999) as ‘Meru.’
He has appeared in several Bollywood films, including Fiza (2000), Raaz (2002), Gangaajal (2003), Khushi (2003), Prasatthanam (2019), and Raat Baaki Hai (2020). He also made his Punjabi debut in the National Award-winning film ‘Des Hoyaa Pardes’ (2004), where he played the role of ‘SHO Randhawa.’
He made his Marathi debut with the film ‘Fatteshikast’ (2019) as Shaista Khan,’ which was released on ZEE5.
In 2003, he started hosting the popular real-life crime show “Crime Patrol.” The show was a massive success in the Indian television industry, and he gained immense popularity as the host. In 2018, he chose to leave the show in order to concentrate on his acting career in films and TV shows.
He has also worked in many theatre productions, including plays by Ektuje Theatre, which is his mother-in-law’s theatre company. He also provides acting training to the actors of Ekjute Theatre.
- In 2012, Anup got into trouble when he said that Indian men were not brought up well, during the show ‘Crime Patrol.’ After he faced a huge backlash for his statement, he immediately apologized and said,I said this line at end of one of “Crime Patrol”’s episodes and after I said it I was a bit apprehensive and realised it would hurt a lot of sensibilities.”
- In September 2020, after Kangana Ranaut alleged that ninety-nine per cent of Bollywood consumed narcotic substances, Anup Soni took to his Twitter and took a dig at Kangana saying that one cannot blame the whole industry for such vice and people holding such assumptions should join some other industry, especially “Rajneeti” (politics).
Awards & Achievements
- Awarded Common Man in Cinema Award (named after Om Puri by Rajasthan International Film Festival (RIFF)) in 2019
Indian Television Academy Awards
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for the show ‘Balika Vadhu’ in 2011
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role for the show ‘Balika Vadhu’ in 2012
- Film Director: Aparna Sen
- His hobby is collecting watches. Talking about his hobby, he said,I love watches and have an exclusive collection of mostly all the famous brands.”
- He wanted to become an actor since childhood and acted in many plays during his school days.
- He also goes by the name Anoop Soni and Anuup Sonii.
- He owns a Maruti Gypsy King.