Prosecutors are investigating the Oxide shoot once again, a move that Alec Baldwin’s legal team considers a bad move.
As reported by TMZThe Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office announced Monday that a grand jury will be convened in the “near future” to consider whether to refile a manslaughter case against Alec Baldwin.
The actor’s lawyers, Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro, told the publication: “It is unfortunate that a terrible tragedy has turned into this wrongful prosecution. We will respond to any charges in court.”
In early 2023, District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies dropped the same charge against Baldwin and later withdrew from the case. Before Altwies, special prosecutor Andrea Reeb took over the case but later resigned. Baldwin’s defense team argued that Reed could not serve as a prosecutor and a state legislator at the same time.
While the case against Baldwin and film gunsmith Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who faced the same manslaughter charge as the actor in the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, apparently came to an end, the district attorney reserved the right to reload them if new information arrived. to the light.
New evidence found against Alec Baldwin
According TMZ, prosecutors opted to return the case to the grand jury after presenting the gun Baldwin used for further analysis. Previously, Baldwin claimed that he never pulled the trigger.
“The trigger was not pulled,” he said in an interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. “I didn’t pull the trigger.”
“I feel like someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who it is, but I know it’s not me,” he continued.
In August, a report made public confirmed that the trigger needed to be pulled for the gun to fire. Before new evidence was found against Baldwin, his defense argued that the .45 Colt used in the incident was damaged during FBI testing in 2022.
If convicted, Baldwin and Gutiérrez-Reed could face up to 18 months in prison.